Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cat fight

Wow! The nasty comments are really flying today.
.
The poor old Reverend who had the final prayer at the Inauguration is accused of racism. And poor Mrs. Obama is being roundly scorned for what she wore. Seems to me there is a lot of mean spirited stuff being thrown around the blogoshpere. (I wonder if St. Agnes, whose feast we celebrate today, shouted insults at her executioners? I have my doubts Sr. Aloysius.)
.
Anyway. Recently, I mentioned to someone, "I get sick of all this religious B.S." Whenever I make statements like that, I seem to offend religious people, especially "those who are convinced of their self-righteousness." Part of what I was referring to in that outrageous statement was the use of pious platitudes like this, "Love the sinner, hate the sin." It seems to me what most people mean by that is "Love the sinner, yes, but only in some flowery, abstract state of prayer or something, in the meantime, rip him to shreds while hating the sin, and brow beat him so he knows you hate that awful sin." I know - I've done it too - that's how I know all this stuff.
.
I read the following at adoration today:
.
"A true disciple of Christ will never mistreat anybody. He calls wrongdoing by its name, but he corrects those at fault affectionately. If he does not, he will neither help or sanctify others. We must get along, we must understand, we must forgive, we must be fraternal. St. John of the Cross tells us to 'put love where we find no love and we will draw out love.' The advice is for any occasion..." - St. Josemaria Escriva

12 comments:

  1. Personally I never said that I hated Mrs. Obama or her dress. I did very much dislike her drapery attire, but hey , I dislike the mom jeans that I wear. Still wear them most everyday. If I say that her dress was ugly that has nothing to do with how I feel about her personally. Nor am I attacking her womanhood or race. It's just a dress !! Yeah, sure it was a Lilly Munster green , but she's been stunning on other occassions. -They can't all be "hits"
    I am sick of the OCD religious , you know the ones that are just waiting in the wings to bitch slap you upside the head verbally for some Catholic infraction of terms, or from a misunderstanding, or just because they MUST BE EXACTING in their faith ( it's my faith too).
    With very many Catholics it is difficult to feel the love of Christ -through them.

    BTW ,Someone that I love thinks that the Reverends speech had undertones of racial bigotry. Towards whites. AND this person is on our cities diversity committee.

    Hey I love you bloggers -qirks ,and all !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, you may find my reaction interesting. luminousmiseries.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Point taken, Owen. But it was still an ugly dress.(Sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angela M, I'm happy we are friends. I was responding to more than just your post. Feel welcome to comment there. As for the dress, again, the point is, it *doesn't* matter.

    Belinda, I am sincerely confused. On the one hand you note that it is just a dress but on the other hand you continue to go one about it :) Then you note that with some Catholics it's hard to feel the love of Christ and that is my point meant in total sincerity - isn't that what the First Lady would feel, a lack of the love of Christ from Catholics who are ragging on her apparel? Why do we need to talk about it at all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. See Owen, that is why we are BFF's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That delightful man a racist? Even some of the rabid atheist bloggers were charmed by him. It just goes to show what I've felt for some time. Most of the Catholic blogosphere is driven by hatred.
    Not you, Terry, you're just a fool for Christ. Can't argue with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:58 AM

    I don't loathe her because she's physically unattractive. (That's just girls being girls. You should hear us when something like American Idol is on at work)..We mock high-falutin fashion because it's so far removed from reality.
    I loathe them because they are loathesome.
    They are hateful, criminal, hypocritical Chicago pols.
    What I feel towards them is righteous anger.

    The "Nice dress - who shot the curtains?" stuff?
    That's just silliness.

    Not that anyone gives a damn about my fashion critique, but I though BHO and the girls looked delicious.

    -C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:26 AM

    Terry: you always are right on target. Man I read you daily. because you give me many thoughts to pray about and examine my conscience

    ReplyDelete
  9. Owen is right how schizophrenic of me. I will try to do better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, great quote by St. JoseMaria. Thanks!
    AR

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is very small-minded, I agree. Like criticizing priests for the length of their sleeves on their clerical shirts. Why do people do that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Digi - Now who would ever do that? LOL! Good catch.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.