Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Bird droppings.

That could be a good name for a blog I think.
.
In today's first reading at Mass from the Book of Tobit, we hear how Tobit sleeps outside and bird droppings settle in his eyes, causing cataracts. The doctors fail to heal him and their remedies cause complete blindness. He gets angry at his wife for bringing home a goat he fears could be stolen, and orders her to return it to its owners. The wife gets pissed and accuses Tobit of hypocrisy, scolding him thus, "Where are your charitable deeds now? Where are your virtuous acts? See! Your true character is finally showing itself!" The wife's insults and calumnies afflict the poor man, inspiring in him a profound prayer of repentance as well as a prayer for death. (We learn this in tomorrows reading.)
.
Insult, calumny, debate and hypocrisy.
.
These tactics are revealed in today's Gospel when the Jews were sent to Jesus to entrap him in his speech, they were testing him to find a way to ensnare him. Coming in peace, they flattered and praised him first, and then posed a clever question to trip him up.
.
The more things change, the more they remain the same.
.
"Happy the man who fears the Lord,
An evil report he shall not fear;
his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord." - Ps. 112
.
I very much appreciate this statement from our Archbishop Nienstedt:
.
"If you do not believe, then there cannot be dialogue, but only debate. The truths of our faith are not open to debate." - Source
.
Prayer.
.
"In you I trust; let me not be put to shame,
let not my enemies exult over me...
Your ways make known to me O Lord,
teach me your paths,
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my savior.
Good and upright is the Lord;
thus he shows sinners the way.
He guides the humble to justice,
he teaches the humble his way." - Ps. 25