Monday, June 15, 2009

Journal

Light emitting diodes.
.
Today I decided that the blog is just a journal or a notebook, and it must remain so for awhile because I have so much work to catch up on with the house and the yard and I also have a major painting cooking on my brain right now.
.
Terror. That is how I get before I begin something that seems to me to be important, or something that challenges my very limited skills. Working out composition is my greatest challenge, but then a voice says, just do it - it will look like what you do any way. Which is not at all consoling - I want it to be better than that.
.
When the subject matter is religious, I become rather fearful that it will turn out looking overly pious or schmaltzy - like the stuff you see in religious goods stores and catalogs.
.
BREAKING NEWS! A snow white squirrel just entered my yard! It must be my sign to begin. I have never had an albino squirrel before.
.
Anyway. I was doing some research online and I found myself actually repulsed by typical devotional art. That doesn't mean anything for devout souls and people who like it - it's just me. Much of my own work is equally atrocious - so I'm just saying - religious art can absolutely turn me off sometimes.
.
That said - I want to include some of that kitsch on an otherwise serious painting. I want the painting - the narrative, to be traditional while at the same time read in very contemporary terms - outside the typical religious genre. I just don't want it to look like a promotional ad for an Evangelical seminar of Biblical prophecy and the end times. Neither do I want it to come off totally secular.
.
I'm thinking Anna Maria Taigi. I don't know why she makes me laugh but she does. (Don't get me wrong, I venerate the woman.) I was going to write more about her on her feast day but I thought it might be too irreverent. For instance, it occurred to me that the illuminated globe of light which she seemed to always see, showing her mystical images and future events, was kind of like TV. Hence my joke: "Anna Maria was the first housewife who sat around all day watching TV to be beatified." (See - it's not funny if you have to explain it.)
.
So anyway. My idea came out of that. Picture it... Visionaries witnessing secrets as in a mirror... before the invention of TV... LED screens, and so on. Intriguing, huh?
.
"Wait. What are you saying? Are you suggesting the visions were..." you ask.
.
"No! Not at all! But an LED panel (light emitting diode) is a better analogy than a mirror - the visionaries just never knew about that stuff... Not that the visions were LED images - but they were seen in 'the light that is God' - and if LED had been around at the time, the visionaries may have described it better that way." I answer, cutting you off before you can protest, disagree, or criticize the concept. I hate it when people do not agree with my point of view.
.
"What about HD holograms?" you ask.
.
"Not going there," I reply.
.
.
That's all.

2 comments:

  1. Terry... Lots of projects on the house and yard? That means we might just see each other. Make sure to stroll around the block here and there while you're out and about. I'd love to see some of your newer work, kitch included.

    p.s. have you seen the black squirrel around here with the butterscotch tail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn - YES! I'm glad you did too - I thought maybe I was having a flash-back or something - LOL!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.