Saturday, July 25, 2009

Internet addiction...

and denial.
.
I love it whenever I post about "us" - people who blog daily and check emails hourly and surf the net for news throughout the day and night - it always pricks some one's conscience and they offer some sort of defense as to why they live online. Whatever - it's your life, not mine - no need to defend yourself to me.
.
Sadly - just as I began to appreciate the lady, Dawn Eden is dropping the blog - to work on her masters thesis. I was particularly impressed by her candid admission regarding how absorbing the Internet can be...
.
To be honest, I have suffered from an Internet addiction for the past several years. Just as there is no such thing for an alcoholic as "one drink," there is no such thing for me as a quick e-mail check and a perusal of the day's online headlines. If I sit down at the computer, I remain glued to it for hours on end. I might excuse myself by telling myself I am reading about important world events or doing research for school. But the truth is that I allow myself to be distracted by whatever comes to mind while I am at the computer, to the point where it becomes a self-medication for loneliness and boredom. And why do I become lonely and bored? Because I waste so much time on the Internet, of course.
.
St. Thomas Aquinas had a word for this vice that causes one to fail to moderate one's quest for knowledge: curiositas. - Dawn Patrol
.
Her honesty is refreshing.

5 comments:

  1. Been thinking the same meself Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:57 AM

    I found the topic of her thesis to be quite interesting!
    And the internet can be quite a trap, esp for people who once loved the library, looking through books, etc, it's like the library is open, in the house, 24/7, and one has to watch oneself...whoever "oneself" is.. :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the worst offender - these things are all written to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOooo tell me: how are we supposed to act in the confessional? Is an addiction something that the priest absolves readily so we can go back to our computer without second thoughts?
    Sometimes I do wonder about phenomena. I swear it's the computer's fault: it's calling me every time I walk by.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.