Monday, July 27, 2009

Midsummer craft project.



Re-thatching a nesting platform, or what to do with spent Hosta stems.
.
Midsummer is a time for trimming the hedge, deadheading flowers, and harvesting vegetables. It is also a good time to re-thatch one's roof - imagine a hearty Julia Child laugh right now.
.
I cut up the stems of the Hosta flowers that I had cut back and use them to re-thatch the roof of the nesting platform I keep as Our Lady's shrine. Then I take the twigs from my hedge pruning, split them in two, and nail them in place to secure the reeds tightly. The photos are self-explanatory.
.
Each winter the birds and Mr. Squirrel pull the dried thatch out, requiring that I repeat the process the next summer. It only takes about 20 minutes to do.

.

(The statue is wood and has been with me for 30 years - always outside in some sort of shrine, this year squirrel is throwing her out so I will replace the figure with another that the critters can not chew on. BTW - that is me in the last photo. You can see my big toe if you look closely.)

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:33 AM

    You are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do have some exquisite gardens Terry--you should be proud. I like that fact that our Lady looks so weathered. I have an outdoor icon shrine on my patio, and my problem critters are bugs and not the squirrels. Even applying a seal coat of weather protectant doesn't deter them. Ah well. Very butch toe, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:30 AM

    That's so pretty!

    Why do the squirrels harm the wooden statue? Could you sand out the damage and cover it in a protective coating of paint in order to salvage it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope OL gets a stick of incense on her special days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gette - thanks.
    John - I like the patina too.
    SF - the squirrel likes to sit under the roof when it rains and tries to dislodge the statue because she is in his way. He is not very devout.
    Thom - I put a candle in the shrine on feast days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hairy arms, right Cath? I knew I shoulda wore long sleeves.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.