Monday, September 21, 2009

"What's My Line?" - Catholicism as a game show.


Stop-it!
.
I don't get it. This morning at Inside Catholic I noted Archbishop Burke had remarked upon funerals for pro-abortion Catholics:
.
"Neither Holy Communion nor funeral rites should be administered to such politicians," said Archbishop Burke. "To deny these is not a judgment of the soul, but a recognition of the scandal and its effects." - Source
.
So far so good - for him - and maybe a few of us. Archbishop Burke is a gem of a Catholic prelate - but does anyone listen to him? A couple of Cardinals just buried a pro-abortion politician in a very public Catholic funeral, while other bishops and priests condemned those who dared criticize it as uncharitable, hate filled, misguided Catholics.
.
I'm not going to waste time this morning listing the litany of questionable Cardinals and Bishops here, but damn! Where is the consistency in Catholic teaching? Is it now just fine to live however one desires, accepting or rejecting Catholic teaching while professing to be a Catholic and yet maintain "good hope" that everyone is saved? (This was even intimated on last evening's Sunday Night Live with Fr. Benedict Groeschl, CFR on EWTN.)
.
III. INDIFFERENTISM, LATITUDINARIANISM
.
15. Every man is free to embrace and profess that religion which, guided by the light of reason, he shall consider true. -- Allocution "Maxima quidem," June 9, 1862; Damnatio "Multiplices inter," June 10, 1851.
.
16. Man may, in the observance of any religion whatever, find the way of eternal salvation, and arrive at eternal salvation. -- Encyclical "Qui pluribus," Nov. 9, 1846.

.
17. Good hope at least is to be entertained of the eternal salvation of all those who are not at all in the true Church of Christ. -- Encyclical "Quanto conficiamur," Aug. 10, 1863, etc.

.
18. Protestantism is nothing more than another form of the same true Christian religion, in which form it is given to please God equally as in the Catholic Church. -- Encyclical "Noscitis," Dec. 8, 1849.
- Syllabus of Errors Condemned by Blessed Pius IX
.
We live in an age when heresy, apostasy and compromise has infected the Church close to the top - it almost seems all that is left to be accomplished is for the abomination of desolation to take it's place in the sanctuary.

14 comments:

  1. If it pleases you, you have other options.

    http://popemichael.homestead.com/

    As for me, I trust in God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thom - thanks - for some reason I haven't been able to comment on your blog - my security is perhaps set too high - nevertheless you have some excellent posts - God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomnus - here is another one for you:

    http://www.truecarpentry.org/tccwww/cathwww/pope/

    LOL! You can see the smoke from the chimney in one photo.

    Pray for me - I need to trust more as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Terry. I certainly hope it's your computer and not my site! I haven't changed anything, and I haven't pulled a Z and blocked anyone, so I hope that's it.

    (Pius 13 is who I was looking for when I found Michael 1!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Archbishop Burke is speaking absolute truth.
    Refusing Catholic burial to someone who obstinantly and deliberately opposed Church teaching is not necessarily a condemnation of that person to hell, as also excommunication does not mean someone is condemned to hell but is called to repent and return to the "heart of the Church". God deals with these people; if by the grace of God, they repent at the last moment (cf. Sister Faustina) they are saved. If they don't, well, that's pretty much a 'done deal.' But to give a public Catholic funeral rite (televised, no less) to someone who did NOT disavow publically their support of abortion rights is a scandal and could lead others to sin and perdition. Why these other prelates are being so "PC" is beyond my comprehension and competence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Father - I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thom - I just watched Michael's video - I am not in agreement with that lunatic at all. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to say it, but televised funerals for anyone of Kennedy's standing in the political world are the norm, not the exception.

    Further, a priest was present at the moment of his death, so we have absolutely NO CAUSE to cast aspersions on the state of his soul, or his repentance.

    Finally, praying for the dead is a spiritual work of mercy, and the most common way to do that is to offer a Mass for their soul before burial.

    I criticized the liturgy myself, but not the fact that the man was granted a funeral Mass.

    Heaven have mercy on us. This is profoundly ridiculous, and I cannot believe people are still talking about this.

    Constant grumbling and b*tching from within- also televised, I might add- causes more scandal than a funeral that was seen from without.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Austringer5:20 PM

    An astute friend once observed that the Church has suffered more damage from internal liberalism and dissent than it ever has suffered from external persecution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pope Michael?....I'm sorry but even with all the chaos and crap going on within the Church, I stick with Pope Benedict XIV.
    Read Church history. There have been very difficult times in the past.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not to worry Father - Thom was just being sarcastic and funny with Pope Michael and I was being dumb pointing out Pio XIII.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aurora12:09 AM

    Poof - Stopette, Pope Michael
    Finesse!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Montenier

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terry, thanks for explanation...I seem to getting a bit 'daft' in my middle-aged years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Ter, Ray, Adoro and I look pretty good on that panel.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.