Thursday, October 01, 2009

The Little Flower

Many of us prefer the photographs of the Saint to most paintings of her, even this one painted by her talented sister Celine. But did you know that Celine modeled the expression we see here from that of how Therese looked immediately after death?
.
"...In 1905, at the urgent request of the community I painted a picture of Therese as she appeared immediately after death. For a model, I used the photo taken in the infirmary on October 1. The sisters who had been her contemporary considered my portrait a perfect likeness of our Saint. It was this picture that was published in all the editions of Histoire d'une Ame, after 1906." - My Sister St. Therese
.
A blessed feast day to all on this joyful feast of Little Therese.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:14 PM

    Terry, this is my favorite picture of St. Therese, it looks like an "old Masters" painting--layers of paint and glazing, give the painting more depth--it's beautiful! Oh, I need to return to painting. Celine was a very talented sister. When I look at this painting, it seems to me as though I "know" her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonne fête de la petite Thérèse, dear Terry, and of the Holy Guardian Angels, and of Blessed Columba Marmion (the 3rd)! What a week!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.