Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Oh! I didn't recognize you with your clothes on!"


I can't tell you how many times I've heard that before... (I'm kidding.  Or am I?)
.
But in the case of St. Sebastian, depicted here with St. Fabian with whom he shares a feast day, it just might be an appropriate exclamation for many Catholics.  St. Sebastian is commonly depicted nearly nude in Western art, shot through with arrows.  In this representation he is depicted clothed in what appears to be rather regal soldier's attire, holding the instruments of his passion.
.
January 20 is the memorial of St. Fabian and St. Sebastian
.
Art:  Thanks to Idle Speculations

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:14 PM

    With that title, I expected this post to be about Scott Brown!! LOL


    I MUCH prefer the modest depiction of St Sebastian you have here. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Georgette. St. Sebastian is a great saint and should have the necessary dignity.
    Unfortunately, St. Sebastian has been "adopted" by some, well, rather unseemly groups that want to make him their "patron" for their, well, immoral activities. No need to say more.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.