Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"My Father is at work until now, so I am at work." - Jn. 5

"The Son cannot do anything on his own, but only what He sees the Father doing..." - Jn. 5
.
It is difficult to read today's gospel and form any word whatsoever, it is enough to stand in awe of this revelation of the union of the Father and the Son - Ah!  See right there - words cannot express it, only silence... only listening.
.
Today, it seems to me that all the turmoil and confusion in the Church and the world is nothing before the works of God.
.
This morning I read a short article on Zenit; an Archbishop stating that the Pope is ridding the Church of filth, completing the work begun when he was head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of The Faith.  Elsewhere I read that the Holy Father's pastoral letter on the paedophilia scandals will be released in a matter of days.  Thus it seems to me the Holy Father, in imitation of Our Lord, works in peace in the midst of the world's clamour.  Like Christ, he can say, "My Father is at work until now, so I am at work... the Son cannot do anything on his own, but only what He sees the Father doing." - Jn. 5
.
The Pope goes about his work, while the world revolts.
.
"Take warning from the example of Lot's wife who, because she was disturbed at the destruction of Sodom, turned back to look at it. God punished her for this, and she was 'turned into a pillar of salt' (Genesis 19.26). This teaches you that it is the will of God, even if you were living among devils, you should so live as not to turn back in thought to consider what they are doing, but forget them utterly. You are to keep your soul wholly to God, and not to suffer the thought of this or that to disturb you." - John of the Cross
.
I have lived much of my life in shame - more or less - and indeed I have much to be ashamed of, but I will never be ashamed of the Cross, nor my obedience to the Holy Father and those Bishops and priests in union with him.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:24 PM

    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry: Most profound and solid spiritual direction from St. John of the Cross:
    "This teaches you that it is the will of God, even if you were living among devils, you should so live as not to turn back in thought to consider what they are doing, but forget them utterly. You are to keep your soul wholly to God, and not to suffer the thought of this or that to disturb you."
    Thank you. This gives me great consolation and a strong challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This teaches you that it is the will of God, even if you were living among devils, you should so live as not to turn back in thought to consider what they are doing, but forget them utterly. You are to keep your soul wholly to God, and not to suffer the thought of this or that to disturb you."

    I suppose I can take this to mean I should stop going to sites like the National Catholic Reporter then...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was just for me Larry - I thought I'd post it because I had nothing else. Anyway, you're a dad - you have to be on the lookout. :)

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.