Monday, April 26, 2010

The Holy Father's warning.


Pope Benedict XVI warns about the dangers of the internet.
.
Just about every Catholic blogger assumes the Holy Father has given his imprimatur to every Catholic, priests, religious and laity alike, to blog their fingers off online 24-7.  Yet while it is true the Pope encourages evangelization and witness utilizing online social networks, it appears the Holy Father also recognizes some of the dangers.  Although directing his comments towards secular culture, perhaps the Holy Father's latest admonition might well apply to Catholic bloggers as well.
.
"The Pope said today that the internet carries a risk of control and conformity of thought.
.
Benedict XVI said that while the internet is egalitarian and creates the opportunity to be informed and stay connected, it also comes with risks.
.
He also mentioned the “dangers of conformity, of control, of moral and intellectual relativism, which can already be recognised in the decline of critical spirit”. - Source
.
Aside from the moral and intellectual relativism reference, which would most certainly apply to the more progressive Catholic bloggers, Twits, and Facebookies, the Holy Father might just as well be addressing some of the more traditional leaning Catholic blogs in his latest warning.
.
Let's see, "conformity, control, and the decline of the critical spirit."  I wonder if any Catholic bloggers, Twits, and Facebookies, along with their followers and commenters, fall into that category?  Nah - couldn't be. 
.
(Gosh.  I hope it isn't bad to say that.)
.
Thanks to Western Confucian for the original news story.
.
Image:  Mind control illustration.

7 comments:

  1. We'll continue to get along, as long as you always agree with me.

    You...will...agree...with...me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually do agree with you - we both like hockey and Caddy Shack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Fawlty Towers. Don't forget about Basil and the Major.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything can become addictive and everything is not always good for us. One must apply common sense when using the Internet which I believe to be a wonderful tool for our times......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, gosh, I'm online so dang much! It's such an addiction! I can't just walk away! Help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try to pull yourself together Cath. You're stressed out again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's why I limit myself to 1 hour a day...it helps me increse my speed reading and typing speed :)

    YouTube is a MAJOR time suck..

    Sara

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.