Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Second Sunday of Easter


"I saw water flowing out from beneath the threshold of the temple..." - Ezekial 47:1
.
Once again this year, Fr. Mark of Vultus Christi posts this magnificent work by John Granville Gregory. It is obviously a modern interpretation based upon Carravagio's work - I admire both works, but I especially love Gregory's masterpiece, "Still Doubting" shown here.  Many years ago now, I made preliminary drawings for a similar painting - a self-portrait based upon Carravagio's Thomas.  Now I don't have to paint it.
.
I highly recommend reading Fr. Mark's post for this Divine Mercy Sunday:
.
Drink deeply today of the Water and the Blood; like Thomas, stretch out our hands to probe Christ's glorious wounds, to penetrate even to His Sacred Heart. In response, the consecrated hands of the priest, acting in the person of Christ the Bridegroom and Head, will offer you the mysteries of His Sacred Body and Blood. Then, will the prayer of Saint Faustina -- Jesus, I trust in you! -- well up from deep within all of us. Then will the cry of Thomas become our own: "My Lord and my God!" (Jn 20:28). - My Lord and My God

9 comments:

  1. Amen.
    A blessed fest of Divine Mercy to you, Terry, and to all of your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austringer10:23 PM

    That is a fantastic painting!

    My your Divine Mercy observance bring you many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry--Thank you for turning me on to Fr. Mark. His posting was beautiful. "Make of your heart an open chalice"--love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:11 AM

    Father Mark's posting was Awesome! Happy Feastday of the Divine Mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy feast day everyone!

    Austringer - I'm really glad you like it - I love the painting.

    Maria and Juan - Fr. Mark is always awesome.

    Dear Father JM - I wish I was there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aceman1:26 PM

    Happy "Low Sunday" T-man! That painting is awesome. Ace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore this painting. It speaks to me much more deeply than the Carravagio: I can see me in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing the painting..it speaks so much..

    thank you for all of your prayers during my retreat--It was very rewarding and I am returning very refreshed.

    I will say--Carmelite friars have WAY COOL habits :) They must starch the heck out of them for them to lay "just so." Especially the hood....

    And our friar DID wear black pants...

    Didn't have the chance to ask about the marriage question...sorry.

    He was also ordained a priest in his late 40's so there is hope for all of you "late bloomers." :)

    It was a delight to pray for all of you in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

    Peace.. Sara

    ReplyDelete
  9. One more thing...

    During my retreat I listened to Fr Z's reading Cardinal Ratzinger's Stations of the Cross that he wrote in 2005....it last a bit over a hour but wonderful meditation if you can have the quiet time...I listened to it on my iPod..

    Sara

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.