Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Favored quotes...


From Hamlet
.
Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of me. You would play upon me; you would seem to know my stops; you would pluck out the heart of my mystery; you would sound me from my lowest note to the top of my compass; and there is much music, excellent voice, in this little organ, yet cannot you make it speak. 'Sblood, do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe? Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, you cannot play upon me. - Hamlet,  Act III, Scene ii  (Thanks Joe!)
.
This above all — to thine own self be true;
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man. - Polonius, Act I, Scene iii
.
Do not, as some ungracious pastors do,
Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven,
Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine,
Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads.
And recks not his own rede. - Ophelia, Act I, Scene iii
.
 
O most pernicious woman!  O, villain, villain, smiling, damned villain!  My tables, — meet it is I set it down,  that one may smile, and smile, and be a villain. - Hamlet, Act II, Scene V
.
Thanks Joe for giving me the place of the first passage quoted.  My friend Joe knows Shakespeare by heart.  Did you know Pier Giorgio Frassati knew Dante's Divine Comedy by heart?  St. Therese knew The Imitation of Christ by heart.
.
Art: Mash Pit - Dan Witz

2 comments:

  1. Do not, as some ungracious pastors do,
    Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven,
    Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine,
    Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads.
    And recks not his own rede. - Ophelia, Act I, Scene iii



    I like that, it just goes to show, they were experiencing the same type of problems then as well. Man doesn't change much, for all his fancy learnin eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.