Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Lent: Catholic Rehab



"What am I Lord... and Who are You?" - Prayer of St. Francis
.
I've been looking forward to Lent so much so, that up until last Saturday I thought tomorrow was Ash Wednesday.  Even though it is only a week away, I think I will start my Lent early.  I've come to think of Lent as a sort of rehab for the soul.  I suppose someone else might expound on that thought, but those who need it do not require an explanation.  Except perhaps to say, it's a good reminder not to look down on those who find themselves in and out of real rehab - since every year all of us are required to go through Lent - Catholic rehab for the soul.  Actually, it's a really good time to stop looking down on any one...
.
To be what we are before God, Who is Love.
.
(My apologies to Charlie Sheen and Mel Gibson.)

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe how quickly last year went by? Lent again, already! I'm getting old, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first became an oblate one of the things that grabbed me from the Rule of St Benedict was;

    1The life of a monk ought to be a continuous Lent. 2Since few, however, have the strength for this, we urge the entire community during these days of Lent to keep its manner of life most pure 3and to wash away in this holy season the negligences of other times.

    Chap 49 RSB

    A continuous Lent..Imagine that.

    +PAX

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.