Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Deacon St Lawrence



Lay-down comics.
.
Today is the feast of St. Laurence of course, and he is often regarded as something of a comedian, although levity is more a vice than a virtue, a good sense of humor is admirable.  Larry proves that with his choice post of what St. Lawrence might have said - I used one of his quips for my post today.  Larry is very clever.
.
Saints who were Deacons.
.
I love the saints who were deacons - it doesn't appear they were transitional deacons on their way to priesthood either.  St. Francis was a deacon and he never aspired to priesthood.  The order of deacon is a holy order - as those saints who were simply deacons attest.  St. Victor, St. Ephraim, and the proto-martyr, St. Stephen are all good examples.
.
Today our permanent deacons are generally married, and in my experience, the deacons and their wives are virtuous, devout, well formed faithful Catholic couples whose ministry to the Church is very much needed.  There have been those who insist that married deacons and their wives should observe continence after the husband is ordained - they argue this point from canon law - but the Church doesn't impose such a restriction upon them, and I do not see why it should.  As a married couple they seem to me to set the example of good family life balanced with faithful, generous ministry.
.
Elsewhere, I've read headlines that some believe deacons should not preach as often as they do.  Nevertheless, they are permitted to preach.  Again, in my experience they do a better job of preaching than most transitional deacons do.
.
I admit I don't know all the ins and outs about being a deacon, but I hope the permanent diaconate  continues to blossom and bear rich fruit, as it so obviously did in the early days of the Church. 
.
Prayers today for deacons and their wives and families.  My parish has a particularly good deacon, we are blessed to have he and his wife in our midst.  

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link, Terry. I'm here all week! Try the veal (just make sure the barbecue is clean first, if you know what I mean!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:12 PM

    I read in an old book of saints last night that St Laurence, as he was being slow roasted, cried out in taunt, "I think I'm done, you can eat me now."

    Happy feast day Larry D.

    Clark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:14 PM

    I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind words about deacons, Terry.
    I like St. Lawrence, too. There are a lot of interesting stories about him, such as the legend that he spirited the Holy Grail out of Rome to Spain. And the story that when commanded by the prefect of Rome to turn over the treasures of the Church, he asked for three days; at the end of which time he presented the poor and handicapped, and said, "These are the treasures of the Church".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just today I realized that I have yet to use that George Foreman Grill I inherited.

    http://www.gocomics.com/rubes/2011/08/08

    My parish gets transitional deacons. Most are quite good. I get used to them, and when they finally move on, I think, how lonely the priest looks up there.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.