Saturday, June 30, 2012

Givenchy... menswear...

Crucifix jacket.

God awful clothes.


I haven't seen many details of the new 2013 menswear collection from Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy, but it's supposed to be 'holy' stuff, and surely expensive stuff at that, Emily.  BTW - Tisci is southern Italian... pazzi.  So anyway - the maestro has incorporated images of the Virgin Mary, symbols of the passion of Christ, and clerical-wear styles into his latest menswear collection. 

Why?  Maybe he's devout?  Or maybe he wants to men to dress lavishly - in expensive kitsch I suppose.  Have you noticed how fashionable it has become for Catholic people to insult religious kitsch and those whose taste they deem inferior to their own impeccable aesthetic?  Therefore, perhaps it is only natural that a Catholic designer should elevate what the theological aesthete mocks, to the level of haute couture.  It doesn't matter if one likes Tisci's designs or not, some of his former collections have been constructed and fabricated in as costly a manner and material as the finest liturgical vestments once were. 

I find it interesting what the dogs can do with the scraps which fall from their master's table, don't you?

Of course you don't.

The image is distinctly  'BouguereautĂ©'...
'every little detail'


*And no - I don't like this stuff, I prefer jeans and t-shirts.  Just saying.

5 comments:

  1. Maggie Goff6:45 PM

    Look at the footwear. Good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other photos are worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few weeks ago I was watching the food network.It was a rerun of one of Sandra Lee's Semi-Homade shows. She was actually wearing an Our Lady of Lourdes t shirt. I kept rubbing my eyes thinking I was seeing things. I didn't catch the show from the beginning so I didn't know if there was an explanation. I kept thinking I wish I could call somebody to see this. I haven't looked, but maybe you can see it on you tube. It was a very cutsey 19th century French looking version of Our Lady of Lourdes...on TV Food Network...worn by Sandra Lee..with no explanation of why she was wearing it. I thoght I was losing my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:13 AM

    And there was recently a fashion label called Imitation of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a model you know what I mean
    And I do my little turn on the catwalk
    Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
    I do my little turn on the catwalk

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.