Friday, August 31, 2012

Pope Encourages Altar Boys



And Goyls...

"An estimated 2,500 people gathered in the town square just outside the papal summer villa in Castel Gandolfo for the main part of the pope’s audience.

Walking with a cane, the pope then held a second, mini-audience in the courtyard of the papal villa with 2,600 French altar servers — boys and girls — who were on a pilgrimage to Rome.

Pope Benedict told the young people they were blessed to be “particularly close to Christ Jesus in the Eucharist. You have the enormous privilege of being close to the altar, close to the Lord.”

The pope prayed that being an altar server would help the young people deepen their friendship with Christ and enthusiastically share God’s love with their friends and families.

“And, if one day you feel called to follow the path to the priesthood or religious life, respond generously,” he told the youngsters." Benedict XVI
 

Works for me.

H/T Deacon's Bench

4 comments:

  1. “And, if one day you feel called to follow the path to the priesthood or religious life, respond generously,” he told the youngsters." Benedict XVI

    Why do I get the sneaky suspicion that someone or everyone is going to have a problem with that statement? I really hope I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that - but people should have enough sense to realize what he meant - but knowing the blogosphere, I expect that is too much to ask.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a problem with altar girls.. Even for the EF I wouldn't have a problem with it I don't totally get why one can't approach the altar unless they are male.

    But I don't get altar servers in the NO in general, they hardly do anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know - ours do not do a lot either, and they aren't well trained. A minor point, but I think their hair should be tamed - pulled back or something. It could be fashion training as well. LOL!

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.