Sunday, September 30, 2012

Mass Chat: Focus on the readings...



I have some people in my life who think they are rich.  Truth be told, they really do have a lot of money, a nice big house in an upscale neighborhood, many possessions, they travel at will, wear designer, drive an expensive luxury vehicle, dine lavishly, entertain frequently, and so on.  They are very impressed with themselves and their station and they let everyone know it.

They each suffer from depression and take multiple medications for several disorders associated with it.  They are also under the care of a psychiatrist.  If one were to ask, they would say they are very happy, and very proud of their accomplishments.

I saw them not too long ago, but I wasn't convinced.  If they were at all content, they wouldn't try so hard to impress others.

I think I might embarrass them. I thought of that while listening to the second reading for today:  "My wealth has rotted away, my clothes have become moth-eaten, my gold and my silver have corroded..." - James 5: 1-6   (I've applied the reading to myself, not them.)

Anyway, listen to the readings for today - they are loaded, as usual - yet today, they impressed themselves upon me with a greater sense of urgency.

The Gospel [Mark 9] gave me pause regarding my attitude towards private revelations and stories of apparitions:  "There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who at the same time can speak ill of me.  For whoever is not against us is for us."

And then, the inconvenient truth about scandal and sin - perpetrators cause others to sin.  Christ says: "Whoever causes one of these little ones to sin..."

Listen closely, meditate, ponder, ruminate the readings from Mass today.  Savor every word.

For no man buy his own ransom,
or pay a price to God for his life.
The ransom of his soul is beyond him.
He cannot buy life without end,
nor avoid coming to the grave.

He knows that wise men and fools must both perish
and must leave their wealth to others.
Their graves are their homes for ever,
their dwelling place from age to age,
though their names spread wide through the land.

In his riches, man lacks wisdom;
he is like the beasts that are destroyed. - Psalm 49



 

1 comment:

  1. Attitude and opinions are always open to change, thank God, especially when the word of God becomes revelation in one’s heart. Only the truth does not change.

    When the apparitions first occurred at Medjugorje in 1981 the parish priest was Fr Jozo. He was unconvinced until he witnessed the change in the hearts of his parishioners and their willingness to reconcile with each other. And then his own heart changed.

    He says: “Man can never be sure or objective, because his thinking, his opinion, never leaves him. If one doesn’t allow oneself to be convinced, if one clings to one’s naturally limited judgement, events will continue to occur without us. This is what happened at Medjugorje. Whether one is convinced or skeptical, for or against, the years pass by at Medjugorje; the signs remain, the fruits remain. And Our Lady’s invitation to peace is still valid.”

    Untold numbers arrive in Medjugorje with a skeptical and closed heart. I was one of them. But like most pilgrims I returned home with with a change of heart, and a gift of peace that Our Lady desires and invites all her children to share with the world.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.