Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Once upon a time...

Princess Grace of Monaco


When Her Serene Highness wasn't exactly serene.

I was reading Billy Baldwin's memoirs and came across this little anecdote about Princess Grace visiting Nantucket.  The Grimaldis were staying at a friend's house and the visit was to be private - the royal couple were traveling incognito - thus their hostess went to great lengths to ensure their privacy and to keep cameras away.
Princess Grace and Prince Rainier arrived promptly and were crazy about how pretty the restaurant was. Princess Grace had her hair tied up under a turban like a laundress, and she was quite disagreeable. She was also disagreeable to her husband, who was quite enchanting, witty, and polite. Princess Grace sat to my right and got along quite well until she started talking about decorating... As we were finishing lunch, Helen asked me if I would show Princess Grace my little cottage and I said I would be happy to do so.

Before we left the Chanticleer, the Berruets asked if they could take a photograph of their guests. "Oh my heavens, yes," said Princess Grace. "We were wondering where the cameras were." She had not liked it at all that there were no photos taken.

So Jean-Charles, looking perfectly grand wearing his big white chef's hat, came out and took photos of them. After that Princess Grace walked with me over to our cottage. She walked in and said, "Oh, I like those lamps. I think I'd like to buy two. Send them."

I said, "They are not for sale. I'm retired and nothing is for sale here."

Paying no attention, she spotted a little table and said, "I'll want that too, but don't be too sure he'll let me get it... he's so stingy. I'm trying to get an apartment in Paris furnished, and he won't let me do what I want because he won't spend the money... so don't count on it." She then told me she had a lovely day and left. - Billy Baldwin, An Autobiography

 
Billy Baldwin, a noted interior designer, often regarded 'the dean of American decorators', died in 1983.  I don't think Mr. Baldwin liked the Princess.
 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:19 PM

    Well, she was rather insulting to him. She really treated him as if he were a shopkeeper. Or perhaps she thought she'd "honor" him by allowing him to send her the things she wanted, free of charge? LOL

    I'd not be too fond of such a guest, either. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.