Friday, February 15, 2013

The Pope on ecumenism...




"And, finally, ecumenism. I don't want to go into these problems now, but it was obvious that―especially after the 'passion' of Christians during the age of Nazism―that Christians could find unity, or could at least look for it, but it was also clear that only God can give unity. And we are still continuing along this path." - The Joy of the Council



I'm reminded of the film, The Hiding Place.  The Christians seemed to be one in the camps, suffering, together with the Jews - the film demonstrates that deep sense of unity - even communion - so it seemed to me.  The film helped me understand better what the Holy Father states here.  True, perhaps some of the Baptists, the Witnesses and other sects remained aloof, yet they were united in suffering.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.