Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Why cats don't go to Mass, and other stuff.



Les hommes ont oublié cette vérité, dit le renard. Mais tu ne dois pas l’oublier. Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoisé.

So why don't cats go to Mass?

Because they would bat at the censor and the priest's cincture.
Gabby told me that.

I've been so busy.

I've been rounding up the rabbits on the 'estate'.

They've decimated my hedge.

I got a Have-A-Heart trap and I've trapped 7 rabbits so far - in 48 hours.  Yet I was convinced I only had a family of three, who lived in a Beatrix Potter cottage.  I had to do something however.  So I deport them to a beautiful nature reserve, far outside their greatest home range. 

I have to accept the fact that I can't feed the rabbits any more.

I trusted them.  I thought, 'if I feed them, they will not eat the bark off of my hedges.'   I imagined I was St. Martin De Porres, I guess,  I convinced myself they would listen to me and be obedient.  I never realized they needed the roughage of the bark, and since I feed them berries, raisins, apples, and nuts, they needed to clean their teeth with the bark afterwards.

What was I thinking?

Likewise, I was seeking myself in feeding them.  I enjoyed watching them.  I pretty much tamed them enough to come up to me as I laid out the food - I derived a great deal of gratification from that.  I was blinded by my selfish self-seeking for affection...  I felt 'needed' - trusted and appreciated...  But I can't be trusted.

What?

So anyway, as the fox explained to the Little Prince:  "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."  Therefore, I took my little bunnies, one by one, to a better place, a beautiful nature preserve surrounded by a huge park.  I hope they don't run into the fox though.

You can't get angry with rabbits, because they need the roughage.
 

8 comments:

  1. "You became responsible for what you have tamed." *sigh*. I've had to trap wild Roosters and chickens in Hawaii... All because I decided to feed cute, little chicks in the jungle behind us. Did you know roosters will crow aaaaaaallllll night?!!! I leaned my lessen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also going blind... Learned my lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hasenpfeffer is mighty tasty in these cold months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buvette's French bistro would have given you silver for those...just sequeing from Judas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw! I envy you even living in a place where bunnies are possible! I would enjoy them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an air rifle if you need one.

    What?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rabbits did that? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That isn't my photo - but yes - my hedge looks exactly like that. Turns out I fed most of the rabbits in the neighborhood... 5 star restaurant.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.