Thursday, May 30, 2013

Celebrity priest, Fr. Andrew Greely, RIP.



Fr. Greely died Wednesday, May 29, at the age of 85.

I never read his novels.

I never paid much attention to him.

I remember a nun telling me that he once said Madonna was attracting kids to the Church and devotion to the rosary.  She thought he was right and asked me what I thought and I said, "Could be.  Jesus Christ Superstar started the ball rolling for me."

I think he was said to have had all the dirt on the “Lavender Mafia” in the Church - files and names.  Will all of that come out now after his death? 



I noted he lived in the Hancock building in Chicago - I've always liked that tower.
Greeley's family issued a statement, noting his 59 years in the priesthood:

"Our lives have been tremendously enriched by having the presence of Fr. Andrew Greeley in our family. First and foremost as a loving uncle who was always there for us with unfailing support or with a gentle nudge, who shared with us both the little things and the big moments of family life. But we were specially graced that this man was also an amazing priest who recently celebrated the 59th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood. He served the Church all those years with a prophetic voice and with unfailing dedication, and the Church he and our parents taught us to love is a better place because of him. Our hearts are heavy with grief, but we find hope in the promise of Heaven that our uncle spent his life proclaiming to us, his friends, his parishioners and his many fans. He resides now with the Lord of the Dance, and that dance will go on." - Lifted from here.

May the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't read his novels and by the time I got to his sociology, it was all old news. But his calling(s) - priest, author, sociologist - suited him well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    I have read several of Father Greeley's novels, which have given me mixed feelings about priests writing books. ;-)

    But seriously, stray memories of passages and scenes in his novels (and his published homilies) come to me from time to time, usually when I'm in incredible distress about the Church; and that is the way Father Greeley has, in a novelist's indirect way, consoled me many times over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Typical Irish democrat dissenter priest who contributed thousands to help elect the most pro-abortion president in history, Barrack Obama. He also distorted a statement of Cardinal Ratzinger saying Catholics using the seamless garment rhetoric saying Catholics could support John Kerry. Three bishops publicly disagreed with him. http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=1243&page=2

    Greeley was one more false shepherd scandalizing the flock. He put the almighty Democrat party ahead of Almighty God. I hope instead of canonizing him, his funeral will be a plea for prayer and penance for the repose of his soul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.