Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Patriarch Kirill: Monastics should stay offline...



What have I said?

I know!

Patriarch Kirill, "the head of the Russian Orthodox Church has urged monks not to use cellphones to access the Internet in order to avoid temptation."


"Now the Internet appears to be a great temptation," Patriarch Kirill said during a trip to the Zograf monastery in Greece, according to a transcript of his remarks posted on the church's website. 
"Many monks act, in my view, quite unreasonably. On the one hand, (monks) leave the world in order to create favorable conditions for salvation, and on the other hand, they take their mobile telephone and start to enter the Internet where, we know, there is a large number of sinful and tempting things." 
The monastic tradition is by definition strict and does not need to adapt to modern conditions, he said. - Source




"What did you go out to the desert to see?" [Luke 7:24] Something on YouTube?

Imagine rising in the middle of the night, and after Vigils, going online instead of going to your cell for Lectio Divina?  

What?

2 comments:

  1. That is such a devastating line: "'What did you go out to the desert to see?' Something on YouTube?" I wish I had thought of it...

    I've heard there's a line somewhere in "The Imitation of Christ" that goes something like, "Prefer to pray rather than read books on the faith. In fact, stop reading this book right now. Go and pray." Too true. I consume large quantities of information from the web and books on any given day, but how much time do I spend in prayer or in simple silence before God?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but I miss nazarethpriest.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.