Monday, October 21, 2013

The Pope on greed...



“That’s what does harm: greed in my relationship with money. Having more, having more, having more... It leads you to idolatry, it destroys your relationship with others. It’s not money, but the attitude, what we call greed. Then too this greed makes you sick, because it makes you think of everything in terms of money. It destroys you, it makes you sick. And in the end – this is the most important thing – greed is an instrument of idolatry because it goes along a way contrary to what God has done for us...
The Lord teaches us the path: not the path of poverty for poverty’s sake. No! It is the way of poverty as an instrument, so that God may be God, so that He will be the only Lord! Not the golden idols! And all the goods that we have, the Lord gives them to us to advance the world, to advance humanity, to help, to help others. Today may the Word of the Lord remain in our hearts: 'Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one’s life does not consist of possessions.'" - Pope Francis.   Christopher Wells, Vatican Radio

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Terry, I assume you also saw this in the UK Guardian:

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/21/bling-bishop-limburg-meets-pope-sermon-greed

    and also:
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/10/catholic-bishop-spends-lavishly-palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did see that. I'm reminded of a local priest who over a decade ago, upon his first assignment in a relatively poor parish, renovated the rectory, installed a hot tub, and so on. He was sent away and teaches in Boston these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scandal to live in luxury while many in the world or in one's own parish are going without. My parish priest lives a simple life. Drives a sturdy car to get around but otherwise, lives simply.

    On a side note, Terry, I love the image of St. Peter and the fish. Is there a story behind it? Is the image Fra. Angelico or yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:47 PM

    @Yaya: Matthew 17:24-27

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just the scripture passage. Thank you so much, T. As I pondered the wonderful picture of St. Peter and the fish, I wondered, if St. Peter was taking or giving to said fish. ^^

      Thanks be to Jesus, "You will find a coin worth twice the temple tax. Give that to them for me and for you."

      Amen!

      Delete
  5. Yaya - no - I just like the image. As you know it shows how the poor Christ sent the poor Peter to get enough money to pay the temple tax - from the mouth of a fish. The Lord always provides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Terry! After T was kind enough to send me the scripture verses, in the gospel of Matthew, that is what I came away with too. Looking at the image just makes me so happy for some reason...yes, it makes me happy because our Lord Jesus always provides. ^^

      Gracias! I took said image and will use it for meditation. ^^

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4:28 PM

      @Yaya. The painting was done by Massacio. Here's a larger picture of it.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Masaccio_012.jpg

      Delete
    3. Ah...I see...thanks again! As I gaze upon such a precious image, I remember one prayer booklet that was given to me long ago with images of paintings done by Fra. Angelico depicting the mysteries of the Rosary. I see some similarity in style which is appealing to me. ^^

      Thanks again, T. ^^

      Delete
  6. I need to trust his providence much more - so the image helps me too. Our Lord often supplies what we need, when we need it, from unexpected sources. We need to trust him more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for that reminder.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.