Thursday, December 12, 2013

Our Lady in prison ...

I thought of this photo at adoration this afternoon.

Showers - Danny Lyon 1968*

"I will hear their weeping, their complaints and heal all their sorrows, hardships and sufferings..."

The inmate with the tattoo of Our Lady always moves me.  It reminds me of another thing Our Lady told St. Juan Diego, "Am I not your mother?" 

“When Our Lady appeared to Saint Juan Diego, her face was that of a woman of mixed blood, a mestiza, and her garments bore many symbols of the native culture. Like Jesus, Mary is close to all her sons and daughters; as a concerned mother, she accompanies them on their way through life. She shares all the joys and hopes, the sorrows and troubles of God’s People, which is made up of men and women of every race and nation.

“When the image of the Virgin appeared on the tilma of Juan Diego, it was the prophecy of an embrace: Mary’s embrace of all the peoples of the vast expanses of America – the peoples who already lived there, and those who were yet to come. Mary’s embrace showed what America – North and South – is called to be: a land where different peoples come together; a land prepared to accept human life at every stage, from the mother’s womb to old age; a land which welcomes immigrants, and the poor and the marginalized, in every age. A land of generosity.

That is the message of Our Lady of Guadalupe”, concluded the Pope, “and it is also my message, the message of the Church. I ask all the people of the Americas to open wide their arms, like the Virgin, with love and tenderness. I pray for all of you, dear brothers and sisters, and I ask you to pray for me! May the joy of the Gospel always abide in your hearts. May the Lord bless you, and may Our Lady be ever at your side." - Pope Francis

*Divine Mirrors: The Virgin Mary in the Visual Arts by Melissa R. Katz - Robert A. Orsi 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. La Morenita came for many reasons but the one that I like best is the fact that she came for her little ones who, because of the color of their skin or because they did not fit into society, were looked down upon by many of the "Eurocentric settlers" who wished to impose their ways upon the indigenous peoples. I have read accounts of some Friars being harsh while others were tender...I remember reading too, that when St. Juan Diego went to see the Bishop, he was made to wait a very long time. Our Lady was so tender to tell him it would not be easy since she was aware of the many injustices.

    Father has preached at Mass she came not just for the conversion and salvation of the indigenous peoples, but also for the conversion and salvation of their so called conquistadores.

    May she truly reign and bring all of us under her mantle...too many divisions exist today in the Church and I am sure she is desiring unity so that all may believe much like her little "hijito" Papa Francesco.

    Viva la Virgen de Guadalupe!

    Viva il Papa!

    The tattoo on the prisoners back is absolutely beautiful...may it burn into his being and forever change him.

    p.s. Perdon, Terry! I made a booboo and had to delete and re-post. Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with what Father said at Mass. I wish everyone could understand that. The Holy Father said she is Mother of all - North and South America. She is the Virgin of the Apocalypse - the Great Sign.

      Happy feast day Yaya!

      Delete
  3. At first glance I thought the tattoo was a huge gaping wound, all broken flesh and open skin. Maybe I wasn't wrong?

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.