Monday, June 16, 2014

Seriously Fine Art

Title unknown.  Amy Hill


Woman with headphones.  Amy Hill



Title unknown.  David Lloyd



Something David Lloyd said about his work ...

“During the painting process I try to stay dumb. I try not to listen to my head. I don’t want to make clever, cerebral, issue-based images. I want to listen to my heart. This isn’t an anti-intellectual position exactly, it’s just that I’m not particularly intelligent or sophisticated, so any attempts to make ‘conceptual’ work would be obvious and banal.

I’m suspicious of any artist who claims to be the final authority on his/her work. An artist who thinks he/she is ultimately in control of what he or she makes is working under an illusion. The most interesting part of what any artist does, is done without conscious control." - David Lloyd





4 comments:

  1. Wonderful work! I thought the quote from David Lloyd was funny though... "I try not to listen to my head." Try? For the life of me, when I paint, I can't think or even pray in words. I've tried, rosary in one hand and paintbrush in the other, but it's impossible. All that I can do is offer the work to God. My family complains I don't hear them either. I don't really and it takes a lot of effort when I do. Do you "listen to your head" or have to try not to when you paint? Just curious. It's weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do pray as I paint, sometimes I get really absorbed however and I'm not sure if I'm listening to myself at all. Sometimes I've had 'experiences' when I paint saints or Our Lady - it seems I can 'hear' them saying something to me or just looking at me. It's strange. Once I was restoring a Greek icon for a bishop and it seemed to me the monk who painted it originally 'spoke' to me. It was painted in the 19th century. Other times scripture comes to mind - especially the psalms.

      Delete
    2. I've had similar experiences, not so much in words, but in the presence of the Saints. Very real, and I miss them so much when the work is done and they have to leave... It's always such an honor to have them with us! God knows we need all the help we can get!

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.