Saturday, June 21, 2014

Why the love of many grows cold? You cannot serve two masters.



Today's Gospel: No one can serve two masters, you will either hate one and love the other ...

Or be devoted to one and despise the other. [Matthew 6: 24-34]  I was thinking of that in relation to my post the other day about following our attractions.  It's very simple to understand that we are tempted by our desires - we cherish an affection for this or that in our heart, and when the inclination or some opportunity presents itself to satisfy that affection, we follow it.  We secretly 'love' what is pleasurable, albeit disordered - preferring it to a greater good, and thereby despising that good.  It's not just with sins of the flesh that we do this, either.

In this Gospel, Christ is kind of talking about - the economy.

The Pope has been talking about it too.  Americans don't like that.  In fact I'll bet a lot of Catholics don't like that.  We prefer our economics and despise the economics of the Gospel - even though we praise our economics as a solution to the world's woes.

So what is Our Lord saying about the economy and salvation?  He is saying not to put our trust in mammon, not to serve the economy, but to trust in God, to serve God.

Today I also read a post on Mark Shea's blog.  People don't like Mark.  They don't like the Pope talking about the economy either.  When you read the post - and the comments in response, you might understand what I'm talking about.  I like Mark Shea.

"Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides."

Works for me.






"In the same way, everyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions
cannot be my disciple.” - Luke 14: 25-33

I have to start selling off my possessions. 

1 comment:

  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGb7uc2uzv8&list=PLECA3B5D22EC6BBD4


    When I watch this film I think of this blog: real friendship between two men, church, money, honour...

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.