Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Synod Chat: Call in the exorcist!

Crazed nuns from "The Devils" a film by Ken Russell.


I wrote an email response to a friend just this morning regarding the confusion generated because of the Synod.  I actually give credit to Francis for this.  I think this is what he meant by making a mess.  I'm serious - even if he didn't intend for it to be quite as messy as it has become - way before any resolution is even proposed!  The thing just started - it's not even close to being concluded.

The scene shown above is from the film, The Devils.  It shows the nuns being convinced to partake in the conspiracy of diabolic possession ... more or less.  Huxley's novel is more complicated than that - yet I thought of the scene in relationship to what I've seen online this morning.

People have to get a grip - there is a hysteria brewing and sweeping through Catholic social media, and it seems to me it is rather morbid - if not diabolic.  And many people are being convinced by it ...

Watch what you read and say, who you read and listen to.  I have to agree with something Eve Tushnet wrote on the subject: Obviously the “relatio” is not official Church doctrine etc etc etc, and I have no idea how much it even reflects the conversations and thinking of the bishops. I tend to expect the worst from them; put not your trust in princes of the Church and all that.  Although I distrust social media commentators - like myself - even more.

That said, what was stated in the relatio sounded rather familiar to me.  It's the type of thing I have heard pretty much all of my life.  Now the whole Church gets to hear it.

Trust God.

I trust God.  I trust Divine providence.  I believe God is allowing this 'division' amongst the hierarchy to become manifest so as to reveal the real state of our Church and society.  It mirrors the division in our families.

As the Lord told Peter - Satan will sift 'all of you'.
“Simon, Simon, behold Satan has demanded to sift all of you like wheat, but I have prayed that your own faith may not fail; and once you have turned back, you must strengthen your brothers.” - Luke 22: 31-32
In other words, God is allowing this sifting of the hierarchy - and the faithful.  Keep in mind, "nothing is hidden that will not be revealed."  Thus the unmasking of the crisis in the Church.  This must be a purification, a distillation of sorts, and we need to stand fast and have confidence the Holy Spirit is purifying the filth in the Church.

We all know there is division in the Church, in our archdioceses, our parishes, our families, our country.  If you are looking for a chastisement - I've got the feeling this is it - and it starts with the Church.

"Pray and don't worry." - Padre Pio

"Be not afraid!" - John Paul II

"Sins of distrust wound Me most painfully." - Jesus to St. Faustina

Make frequent acts of faith, hope and charity.  That's how the saints endured their trials.

And laugh.  It really helps.

What?

9 comments:

  1. Jacinta's exhortation to do penance gets more relevant and imperative every day, doesn't it? Soup for dinner. (Is it still penance if I like soup?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it does. I have been thinking of Jacinta a lot lately.

      Delete
  2. Are you saying you think this "mess" is part of some plan Francis has to purify the Church and lead us closer to the Truth? Rather than, say, Francis as a participant in the confusion itself? How can anyone believe that Francis is not in step with what Kasper views as 'mercy' and reform at this point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really think he planned it or foresaw what has happened.

      Delete
  3. Never cared for that movie, The Devils. One brother who left the Church, really likes it and believes that's how the Church really was and is to this day.

    Anyway, I agree with everything you say and will try and go on retreat now from commenting and speculating and pointing fingers...nothing good ever comes from that.

    I am calling Rome too to see if I can convince Cardinal Kasper to agree to come along...a long and peaceful and silent retreat will do us both well. ^^

    I know dear Deacon Greg seems to think so:

    Cardinal Kasper: “African Catholics shouldn’t tell us what we have to do” at the synod..

    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2014/10/cardinal-kasper-african-catholics-shouldnt-tell-us-what-we-have-to-do-at-the-synod/

    "Am I the only one who thinks it might be a good idea for Cardial Kasper to take a vow of silence for a few weeks?"
    Deacon Greg

    Poor Kasper...he's lost all credibility in my book he just won't shut up! He's stirring the pot on the other side of the aisle.
    " In the interview Kasper tries to dismiss the opinions of African bishops (which need not be accepted in whole to be taken seriously) as the product of mere taboo:
    Africa is totally different from the West. Also Asian and Muslim countries, they’re very different, especially about gays. You can’t speak about this with Africans and people of Muslim countries. It’s not possible. It’s a taboo. For us, we say we ought not to discriminate, we don’t want to discriminate in certain respects.
    That’s right. Not only Africans, but also Christians from Muslim-majority countries—the ones being killed and displaced by the thousands and thus uniquely close to the cross that stands at the center of all Christian reflection—must go unheeded."

    I stand with my faithful and suffering brethren in Africa and in the Middle East.

    Mary, Mother of the Church, pray for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read what Kasper had to say after I posted this. I don't understand him at all - I can't say I ever did.

      Delete
  4. Terry,

    Were did you get that picture of Crisis Magazines' posters????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep it for laughs.

      Delete
    2. Were means Where.. my big fat fingers are having trouble today.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.