Saturday, January 31, 2015

Centenary of the Birth of Thomas Merton



Fr. James Martin, S.J. seems to be very devoted to Merton, aka Fr. Louis, o.c.s.o..  Fr. Martin writes here.  Merton's final lecture here.

I appreciate much of his writing - Merton's - and many of his thoughts.  Although I think I like Thomas à Kempis better.  I suppose that sounds like a put down.  It isn't meant to be.  It seems to me Merton was more interested in defining monastic/contemplative life in his last days, while Thomas à Kempis was more interested in sanctifying ordinary life - within and without enclosure.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.