Sunday, February 08, 2015

Never listen to the Devil.

Detail: Garden of Earthly Delights
Hieronymus Bosch


I always say that.  Why?  Because he lies.

So if you hear someone talk about what the Devil told them about rectal emissions - ignore it.

The Devil lies.

I wrote about it here, and repeat it today.

I came across a commentary on the Gospel for today, offering an explanation as to why Jesus commanded the demons he drove out, not to speak.
"The reason why Jesus forbade the devils to speak was to teach us not to believe them, even if they say true.  For if once they find persons to believe them, they mingle truth with falsehood." - Theopylact of Ohrid

It is the same with 'New Age' Catholic spiritual guides and heretics.  They collect what seems good to them from other cultures and religious systems and concoct a syncretic-cocktail of error, with a shot of truth.  Of course, though it may be dangerous to the faith, one may read or study and listen to anyone.  When one moves beyond Jesus and the Church - then one knows they have left the narrow way that leads to life.


Random thought:

"The male penis is not a weapon or a mere tool, but it is a means of making contact, 
literally "reaching out" for the other, not to hurt or invade, 
but to pleasure and delight – mutually! . . . 
Not just me, and not just the other, but both simultaneously. 
Is that not an ideal metaphor for what all human relationships should be? 
And maybe even what morality should be." - Richard Rohr

6 comments:

  1. That is seriously weird - that Rohr stuff - not sure I can take anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oprah! New age guru and goddess ushering the New World Order! Can't have a new age joke without Oprah attached to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The penis as a foundational image/moment of morality? I wish mine would stop "reaching out" to me and leave me alone. Who wants to be turned in on one's self? That's the more common modus operandi, after all.

    I like St. Athanasius's description in his "Life of St. Anthony": "the weapon that hangs at the waist". And who uses it as a weapon? SATAN! (to quote the Church Lady).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like St. Athanasius's description in his "Life of St. Anthony": "the weapon that hangs at the waist".

      Problem is, it's not always hanging.

      what?

      Delete
  4. "Never listen to the devil." Last night I showed my wife the "Howling Man" episode from the Twilight Zone that chronicles what happens when we listen to the devil. This 1960 episode totally freaked me out when I saw it as a kid. Check it out -- it's free on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Male penis." Hehe. If I have a lesbian female penis trapped in the body of a male penis, does that make my libido more or less a universal metaphor?

    I'd go on, but I just read that post by Catholic in Brooklyn about calumny and detraction against priests (it is *Fr.* Richard Rohr after all) and it scared the spiritual shit out of me. In the past I have been very flippant in comments about liturgy, homilies, and some parish administrative decisions. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

    (Terry, I am not implying your post was detracting from Rohr at all. I just know what comes to my mind when I think about him. It's not super charitable.)

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.