Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Pope Francis to the Bishops of the United States.



Sweet.
Dialogue is our method, not as a shrewd strategy but out of fidelity to the One who never wearies of visiting the marketplace, even at the eleventh hour, to propose his offer of love (Mt 20:1-16). 
The path ahead, then, is dialogue among yourselves, dialogue in your presbyterates, dialogue with lay persons, dialogue with families, dialogue with society. I cannot ever tire of encouraging you to dialogue fearlessly. The richer the heritage which you are called to share with parrhesia, the more eloquent should be the humility with which you should offer it. Do not be afraid to set out on that “exodus” which is necessary for all authentic dialogue. Otherwise, we fail to understand the thinking of others, or to realize deep down that the brother or sister we wish to reach and redeem, with the power and the closeness of love, counts more than their positions, distant as they may be from what we hold as true and certain. Harsh and divisive language does not befit the tongue of a pastor, it has no place in his heart; although it may momentarily seem to win the day, only the enduring allure of goodness and love remains truly convincing. - Read the rest at Aleteia

I like what the Holy Father is saying, so much - I like this especially: "We need to let the Lord’s words echo constantly in our hearts: 'Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, who am meek and humble of heart, and you will find refreshment for your souls'” (Mt 11:28-30).

His words humble me... correct me... at least I hope so.

I watched the Canonization Mass.  Very beautiful.  Long - but beautiful.

St. Junipero pray for us.


4 comments:

  1. Pope Francis is the Lord's way of ensuring that the Church's victim souls are fully employed.

    Maybe I should have exercised more foresight like Fr. Z and traveled half-way around the globe for the week. He's in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vacations are good - and in Japan - that would be so beautiful. I love Japan. I checked his blog after your comment - I love Japanese food too. I'm hungry now.

      Delete
    2. As you probably guessed, I really need a vacation. Mix young children/babies with some dark night of the soul, and yes, I'm very tired. Absolutely love my little family, though!

      Delete
  2. Terry,

    Did you read that Papa Francis visited the Little Sisters of the Poor? I read about it on the National Catholic Register.

    http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/support-for-religious-freedom-pope-made-surprise-stop-at-little-sisters-of-

    and here

    http://www.ncregister.com/blog/matthew-archbold/pope-francis-awesome-drop-mic-moment-on-religious-liberty

    The news made me happy!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.