Friday, October 02, 2015

Guardian Angels



Remember, your angel isn't your lover, romantic fantasy, or gorgeous imaginary friend who is yours to do with as you wish, to name, or imagine cuddling with.

Most contemporary angelic iconography tends to be neo-pagan-new-agey, idealized mythic-romantic idols of sexual fantasy, while much of the male images are decidedly homo-erotic.

Angels are pure spirits.
329 St. Augustine says: "'Angel' is the name of their office, not of their nature. If you seek the name of their nature, it is 'spirit'; if you seek the name of their office, it is 'angel': from what they are, 'spirit', from what they do, 'angel.'"188 With their whole beings the angels are servants and messengers of God. Because they "always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven" they are the "mighty ones who do his word, hearkening to the voice of his word".
330 As purely spiritual creatures angels have intelligence and will: they are personal and immortal creatures, surpassing in perfection all visible creatures, as the splendor of their glory bears witness. - CCC

Well, you look about the kind of angel I'd get.

1 comment:

  1. "Remember, your angel isn't your lover, romantic fantasy, or gorgeous imaginary friend who is yours to do with as you wish, to name, or imagine cuddling with."

    Gee willikers! Do some folks really think along these lines or are you being darkly humorous again, dear Terry? ;p

    Whenever I fall, I am too ashamed to look at my Guardian Angel as he just so pure and in sight of the Almighty. I always feel like I gotta run and hide somewhere but then again, who better than he to help me get up again, say sorry and mean it, then help me get back onto the Royal Road?

    I remember once when I was very depressed, I asked my Guardian Angel to gaze upon the Lord Jesus for me and to glance at him with love, adoration, and humility.

    I cried my eyes out after that. ^^

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.