Sunday, January 17, 2016

Who do you think you are?



Ones conversion experience does not justify the feeling that one is one of the "elect". - Pope Benedict


I wish I had known, or to be more accurate, understood that a long, long time ago.

I keep pondering that statement.  I think it could apply to a lot of experiences, especially mystical, contemplative experiences - insights, knowledge, intuitions, and so on.  Even education - knowledge of scripture, theology, the entire spectrum of religious experience and practice.  It can lead one to adopt the attitude of those who are convinced of their own righteousness and despise everyone else.

Once, long ago, I presumptuously applied this psalm verse to myself: I have more insight than all who teach me, because I do your will.  Really.  If I had known then what I know now.  Indeed, "ones conversion experience does not justify the feeling that one is of the 'elect'".

On the other hand, one should never lose confidence - as St. Teresia Benedicta a Cruce noted:
"In aridity and emptiness the soul becomes humble. Former pride disappears when a man no longer finds in himself anything that might cause him to look down on others." - Science of the Cross 

Sleepwalking, Will Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.