Sunday, July 10, 2016

Fr. Mike Tegeder died.

Photo Credit: BRIAN PETERSON, STAR TRIBUNE FILE


Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace.
 Amen.
 May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God,
rest in peace.
Amen.



Fr. Tegeder, 67, died Saturday July 9, 2016.

He had been in hospice care while staying with a relative.
“Mike was one of the most hands-on priests I ever worked with,” said former priest Ed Flahavan, who first met Tegeder in the 1980s when he was a seminarian and volunteer bus driver, transporting special-needs people to and from their group home to parish dances.  Tegeder embodied Pope Francis’ urging that priests must be “shepherds living with the smell of the sheep,” said Flahavan. “He wanted the priests to get close to people, to be with the people in their pain and suffering. Mike smelled like the sheep in a very special way.” - Star Tribune
He ran the race, he kept the faith.  He stayed the course.  He persevered to the end as priest.  May he find mercy and love in abundance ... in good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, poured into his soul.

Saturday's Gospel seems especially consoling and fitting:
"Everyone who acknowledges me before others, I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father." - Matthew 10: 24-33

 Prayers for the repose of his soul.



h/t Ray

2 comments:

  1. "He ran the race, he kept the faith...."

    May God rest his soul, but I think this statement is demonstrably untrue. He may have kept his own faith, but he didn't keep THE Faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been praying for him. I hope he kept faith and it seemed to me he must have since he persevered in his vocation as a priest. As far as I know, he did not renounce his priesthood, abandon ministry, nor deny Christ.

      I pray for the repose of his soul.

      I know many agree with you though.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.