Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Stuff like that ...

"Jesus began to reproach the towns where most of his mighty deeds had been done, since they had not repented." - Matthew 11:20



I'm not a big fan of memes, although I really like gifs.  Memes seem to be forgettable platitudes, until they strike home, as the one shown above did for me.

If the lesson you get from Jesus hanging with sinners is you should hang more with sinners you're confused on who you are in the story.

The scary thing about presumption and self righteousness is that it is usually only revealed in a fall.  I remember the first time I realized I was a habitual sinner - it was many years after my 'conversion' - many years.

No wonder people from my past say things like, "Man - you sure have people fooled."

Mouthing pious platitudes and wearing your religion on your sleeve as they say, doesn't mean much.

Saints were sinners who kept trying.  That's why they were always repenting.  How many times do we read in the lives of the saints how so many of them lamented their sinfulness right up to the end?  They weren't pretending.  They knew who they were.

I think it is why Teresa of Avila could repeat, "Forever I will sing of the mercies of the Lord!"




3 comments:

  1. Amen! I have nothing more to say to what is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for this post

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for this post

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.