Monday, October 31, 2016

The Pope is in Sweden ... I'm Swedish too!

Writing notes to one another
is a traditional Swedish custom
when meeting for the first time.
Afterwards they hug and kiss 
and drink Aquavit
and dance the 
slängpolska.



Bonus:

This is my Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Aunt Kitty Nelson-Gustavsdotter Vasa:



Her maiden name was Katarina Gustavsdotter Vasa, Princess of Sweden.  But she went by Kitty Nelson.  (The Gustavsdotter - simply means she was the King's daughter - Gustavsdaughter in English.  If your name was Gustavsson - that would mean you were the King's son - or a descendant of Gustav - Like Craig Gustavson.)

A bit of trivia, all the males in Kitty's line use the surname Nelson, and curiously enough, they all continue to resemble her down to our day.  In fact, when I first viewed this portrait I thought it was my dad.

Isn't it odd?  I never boast about my royal heritage the way traditionalists like to do.   It doesn't add to my stature one bit.




Christmas will soon be here.

4 comments:

  1. Terry you are so humble about your royal heritage! I never would have guessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Terry; every time you make me laugh out loud I thank God for you: btw I guess the painting (print of some kind ?) of Satan playing Luther was from a current artist somewhere ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - it's a really old piece I came across on Facebook.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.