Thursday, November 17, 2016

The Narcissist's Credo - Something Meryl Streep never said ...

“I no longer have patience for certain things, not because I’ve become arrogant, but simply because I reached a point in my life where I do not want to waste more time with what displeases me or hurts me. I have no patience for cynicism, excessive criticism and demands of any nature. I lost the will to please those who do not like me, to love those who do not love me and to smile at those who do not want to smile at me... etcetera, etcetera, and so on and so forth ... 

Pretending to be an actress ...

I came across the quote online and almost immediately I became suspicious.  If Streep really said that, it had to be one of her characters, I thought, because it simply did not sound like something she would say.  Perhaps some of the sentiments expressed could be something she might think or say, but not with that sort of insistence, or finality.  I don't know her, but I've seen several interviews with her and it just didn't sound like something she would 'declare' to the entire world.  It's too self-centered and narcissistic for someone truly stable in their 'state in life'.  An accomplished, successful professional would hardly be so dismissive of others.

"The quote is actually from the pen of Portuguese self-help author/life coach José Micard Teixeira – not a woman, and not an elder, but a younger man who is suddenly becoming the “not Streep” Internet celebrity of the month." - Finish the story here.

The quote was attributed to Streep by a Romanian blogger.  The quote isn't all that bad in itself, but I think it says more about those who post it than what is intended by the author.  I may be wrong.  Perhaps the fact some embrace the quote as an affirmation of their determination to 'thrive' and inspires them to do better in dealing with fellow human beings - without allowing themselves to be manipulated by their negative behavior, but it still comes off as arrogant and pretentious.  It seems to me it is simply a facade to shelter behind.

It's also antithetical to the Beatitudes.


7 comments:

  1. It backs up my always saying the internet is an echo chamber. I do due diligence on everything I read now - even sites that I tend to agree with.

    That being said, I've always thought Meryl Streep is on of the all time finest actresses ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too on all counts. I love her work - we are exactly the same age - which probably makes us soul mates. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Adrienne, how do you do due diligence on crackpots? What?

      Delete
  2. Definitely soul mates

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meryl Streep.....the new Albert Einstein. (or the new Abe Lincoln)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to some of what's going on in that quote. Being self-centered was my way of life for a long time. Now, in my old age, I have cried over the many precious moments lost because of my lack of patience and compassion. Always rushing ...

    Thing is that I still fall if I don't stop myself.

    Please pray for me and the many who fall the same way.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.