Saturday, May 27, 2017

Dark Habits


Nuns on the periphery ...

I just happened upon this, a film by Pedro Almodóvar - I don't know a great deal about him nor have I ever seen this film, but I enjoy this sort of thing.  I love Luis Buñuel and Fellini, and their sometimes satirical treatment of Catholicism, so I wonder how well Almodóvar handles it?

His 1983 "pelicula" is about a cabaret singer Yolonda (Cristina Sánchez Pascual) who is hiding out in a convent of wacky nuns. But let's not confuse the movie with Sister Act because it would eat that 1992 comedy and then apologize sheepishly over a cake and acid dessert...
The nuns are of a renegade order known as The Humiliated Redeemers where the Mother Superior (Julieta Serrano) is a lesbian heroin addict. Her nuns have taken self-deprecating names like Sister Rat (Chus Lampreave), Sister Damned (Carmen Maura), and Sister Manure (Marisa Paredes) and that's just the Almodóvar regulars!
The order is obsessed with the fallen nature of man and Christ's love for sinners. They feel intense nostalgia for the days when their convent was a haven for prostitutes, murderers, and addicts. - More here.

I think the film sounds interesting since it kind of reminded me of Pope Francis' call to go out to the peripheries, so in a strange way, the 1983 film just might be rather 'prophetic' in a weird way.  It could be.

I love films many people quickly assume are anti-Catholic, since they sometimes offer a valuable insight or critique of what is wrong with religious people, or at least it mirrors the impression irreligious people have of strict Catholics.  I think that is why I liked Wolf Hall so much, especially its treatment of St's. John Fisher and  Thomas More.  If traditional Catholics of our day are any indication, I can well imagine these two saints may have made a similar impression upon 'progressives' of their time.  (Of course Thomas Cromwell is treated well, but I'm sure he had some lovable qualities - at any rate, he was more interesting to me than he had been in the past.)  I've read elsewhere that many saints were sometimes difficult to live with.  I like seeing that.

It does nothing to their sanctity, doesn't tarnish it a bit for me.  Saints were sinners and sanctified by the Blood of Christ.  

6 comments:

  1. I like Almodovar. I haven't seen the one you're talking about. I'm not familiar with Bunuel, so I can't compare the two. He's more hostile to the church than Fellini. Like you said, that's not necessarily something to avoid, but his blade is pretty sharp. He deals a lot with sexuality--in more provocative ways than Fellini. Lots of transgressive stuff. If I think an artist is honest, I can look past most objectionable/immoral content. I think Almodovar's honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almodovar's more hostile. I was unclear.

      Delete
    2. Thanks - I would most likely avoid his work in that case. Bunuel was condemned in his time bit Simon of the Desert is one of my favorites and quite rich in spiritual content.

      Delete
  2. I nicknamed my 2nd grade Teacher as Sr.Tarantula...I think she was Italian I liked her anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 7th grade sister was Sr. Vivian - so we called her Vivian Vulture. She was a really mean nun.

      Delete
  3. Nuns on the periphery of the bus? What ?

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.