Sunday, October 01, 2017

Something for the feast of St. Therese.



I want to repost a story about an Argentinian Carmelite nun who reminds me very much of St. Therese.  Therese once confided to her sister, 'If I had not been accepted in Carmel, I would have entered a Refuge (for fallen women) and lived out my days there, unknown and despised among the poor penitents.' - St.Therese of Lisieux

How appropriate that the readings for today speak of Christ who emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, including himself among sinners and outcasts.  In the Gospel Jesus points out 'tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God' before those who believe they are there already.

The story of Sister Monica Astorga, OCD is extraordinary for a Carmelite nun - yet we live in extraordinary times.  I'm sure she must be criticized for her work.  Maybe some are scandalized.  Yesterday I read a friend's comment on a Facebook post calling Pope Francis a scandal machine.  That made me sad - for my friend, not the Pope.  Just as sad as I am saddened by the controversy surrounding Fr. Martin, S.J. - which I pray will be resolved. 

Sister Monica Astorga, o.c.d.
For the past 10 years, Sister Monica Astorga, a Discalced Carmelite in the central Argentine city of Neuquen, has helped a group of transvestites and transsexuals who decided to give up prostitution and addictions to alcohol and drugs. She has started them on the path of recovery and reintegration into society.
But the work has been full of obstacles, she said. “People asked me why there were transgendered people in church. I told them the Church is for everyone. Who was Jesus with? With sinners. What is important here is that they live in dignity, so they don’t have to sleep on the street in cold temperatures—even below zero. What I offer them is a space for prayer and to find a way to work, and the rest is for the judgment of God, which I know is so merciful.” - Read the rest at Aleteia

It's a very moving account.  Sr. Monica has the permission of her Bishop, and the encouragement of the Pope.  Perhaps like Bl. Teresa of Calcutta, Sr. Monica received a 'call within a call'.  I also think of  St. Simon Salus, who left his desert solitude to live amongst the outcasts, criminals, and whores, to demonstrate the love of God, to be a sort of presence of merciful love amidst the unlovable.  I'm so edified by this story of Sr. Monica.  I'm betting Sr.'s penitents may not always manage to be faithful, nor may they change all that much in appearance or their identity, yet the grace of God is available to them and they have indeed found a place in the Church.

We always hear people say we have to make a place for people in the Church - the truth is, there is a place ... a place for all of us.  It is there already.  No special clubs or groups to join is necessary.  The sacraments - the life blood of the Church are enough.  Christ is enough.  So why do those in the Church, those receiving the sacraments, complain and call others out?  Why do they complain like those in the marketplace who have no faith?

Christ can do all things if we ask with the least bit of faith. "O Lord, I want to return to the Church and the sacraments but I don't know how." The Lord finds a way. When I write about two men or two women living together, agreeing to renounce sinful relations and determining to sanctify their lives and return to the Church and the sacraments, I'm saying that Christ can accomplish for them even more than they ask or desire. The Church does not lay burdens too heavy to carry on those who wish to be reconciled. The Church calls homosexuals, transsexuals, prostitutes, sinners to freedom, to chastity, to holiness. The Church does not dictate with whom and where a person must live, the Church doesn't command a person to join this or that group.  

I had a Discalced Carmelite nun as a spiritual sister who died a few years ago.  I came upon a letter from her last night, written many years before.  She is the one who told me, to go to confession after every fall - even if it is every day - and then go to communion.  In time the Lord will free you.  The Lord did free me.  My sister never gave up on me.  I had confessors who nearly did - she never did.  Anyway - I repeat myself - anyone who knows me know that story.


Have faith: Ask, seek, knock. It will be opened for you. 

1 comment:

  1. Amen! What a beautiful story, Terry. To be found among the despised full of love, full of hope, full of charity! Were I not so full of self-importance/self-righteousness, I would like to think I have what the Lord seeks in being of service to my neighbor.

    Prayers in thanksgiving to God for Sr Monica. Those who have sought refuge with her are blessed indeed. May heaven be theirs.

    Can anything good come from Nazareth?
    Yes, indeed and from Argentina too!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.