Thursday, November 30, 2017

This is Christmas!


Angels surround the Word made flesh.

This is the perfect creche.   It is the focus, the center of the celebration - the Word made Flesh and dwells among us.  I wish our churches looked like this, I wish Mass was celebrated like this.

This is why I began to paint icons years ago, just when most of the images were removed from churches, and many of the altars desacralized.  I was trying to fill a hole ... I began collecting religious art and relics which had been tossed out and put up for sale online.  I looked for and began to paint Spanish Colonial and Baroque religious art. I was trying to replicate what had been removed from the churches; but even more deeply, I was trying to make present something only priests can do  - only priests can confect the Eucharist.  Only priests make Christ present among us as he truly was at Bethlehem, body, blood, soul, and divinity.

This is what we try to imitate at Christmas with our decorations and nativities - yet Christ is the Mass ... 'I AM the Bread of Life'.  The Mass is Christ's Mass.  We come to adore, to worship and to receive.  Our altars should reflect this splendor, this glory, that is Christ's Mass.

This is a splendid nativity
many of us would want,
yet we had it in our churches
when the Blessed Sacrament was 
reserved on a splendid altar
and the Eucharist was
solemnly
celebrated in mystery
and beauty.



5 comments:

  1. Isn't that the Nativity from the White House? I didn't realize it was so big until I Googled it in images. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it's from Loretta Hines Howard. She also bequeathed the one with the Angel Tree at the Met and the one owned by the Benedictines at Regina Laudis. The Neapolitan creche is my favorite.

      Delete
    2. I didn't know any of that. Thanks

      Delete
  2. https://www.catholiccompany.com/getfed/st-andrews-christmas-novena-november-30/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked up the Loretta Hines Howard and the Nativities she donated. Interesting especially the Regina Laudis one. That monastery is quite famous being the one that Elvis's costar joined and the movie "Come to the Stable" was modeled on. Would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.